Welcome, and thank you for your interest in signing up for Dolly! Our Helpers and Hands are independent contractors that serve customers across the country with their moving and delivery needs using their trucks, vans, trailers, and / or just their muscles.
Become a Helper
A Helper is an individual who is 18 years of age or older, drives a pick-up truck, box truck or cargo van, and can safely lift over 75 pounds.
Helpers make approximately $50 per hour or more on average with rates varying based on job availability and how many Dollys you can take on.
Become a Hand
A Hand is an individual who is 18 years of age or older and assists a Helper with moves or completes labour only Dollys . While Hands do not require vehicles, you are required to arrive on time to various Dolly locations using whatever method of transit you prefer.
Hands make approximately $35 per hour or more on average with rates varying based on job availability and how many Dollys you can take on.
Helper and Hand Sign-Up Process
This 4-step guide provides an overview of our sign-up process as well as details required to become a Helper or Hand. To kick off the process, start by visiting our Dolly Helpers page where you'll begin by choosing to become either a Helper or a Hand.
Step 0 - Initial Sign-Up Information
Fill out the sign-up form with your full legal name, email address, phone number, physical address, vehicle information, and select which market you would like to be part of.
Note: Please review and confirm you have entered the correct information before submitting!
Step 1 - Document Upload
In order for you to get on the platform, you'll need to upload a set of documents to get onto the platform. If you're a Hand, you can skip down to the Headshot and Identification section.
Vehicle Photos - Helpers only
To approve your vehicle for use on the platform, we'll need to see some pictures first. When it comes to vehicles...
- We accept pickup trucks, cargo vans, and box trucks manufactured in 1995 and after.
- There is no minimum size requirement for pickup trucks and box trucks.
- Vehicles must be in good and working condition (minimal rust or damage).
- SUVs are acceptable if, and only if, you have a covered trailer.
- When uploading vehicle photos, make sure the entire vehicle is visible in the photo. It may help to take a side-view photo of the vehicle.
- The vehicle name and VIN must clearly be listed on your insurance policy (submitted in the next step) and match the vehicle in your sign-up information.
Note: Rental vehicles, vehicles listed for sale, flatbed trailers, and / or other vehicle customizations (e.g., customized cargo beds) are not permitted for use on Dolly's platform.
For more information about these requirements, please see our Vehicle Photo Requirements.
Vehicle Insurance - Helpers only
- We'll need a copy of your vehicle insurance policy - a photo works fine. The document presented must be unexpired and your name must match the name on the vehicle insurance policy to show proof of vehicle ownership.
Headshot and Identification - Helpers and Hands
We will need to verify you are who you say you are and that you have valid identification. We will need a selfie or profile picture to show our customers and a valid photo ID.
- Your selfie needs to be a profile picture headshot without any filters. This photo will be shown to customers and needs to be presentable.
- If you're applying to become a Helper, we will need a clear photo of your unexpired driver's license. The name on the license must match the name on the sign-up form. We are unable to accept a learner's permit.
- If you're applying to become a Hand, any valid, unexpired government issued ID will suffice.
Note: We do not accept temporary or paper copies of licenses and identification cards. If you have a temporary license, please wait until your physical card arrives in the mail to submit your photo.
For more information on selfie, identification, and insurance documentation requirements, please visit our policy on General Document Requirements.
Note: If a vehicle and / or insurance is registered under a business name, you will need to provide proof of business ownership. Examples include but are not limited to a Secretary of State document or an IRS EIN letter. For more information on business ownership document requirements, please see our article on Business Ownership Documents.
Step 2 - Onboarding & Training
While our team goes through your documents, you will receive an email with our onboarding training through our learning partner NorthPass. All Helpers and Hands need to complete this course, and the associated quizzes, in order to start on Dolly's platform.
Step 3 - Background Check & Driving History
At this point, a background check is required for everyone signing up to become a Helper or Hand. Background checks are completed through our partner, Checkr.
Note, due to FCRA requirements we are unable to accept alternate background checks from another entity.
- Background checks cost $30, and we are unable to waive this fee. You can easily earn back the fee when you complete your first Dolly.
- To initiate your background check, you will receive an email asking for consent. Once we've received consent and payment, the background check will begin to process.
- Background checks take an average of 7-10 business days to complete with some checks taking longer depending on how backed up courts are.
Note: If you are applying to become a Helper, a motor vehicle record (MVR) check will also be conducted. There is no additional fee for this check.
Step 4 - Dolly Helper Agreement & W-9 Form
After your background check clears, there's only one step left! You will be sent a Helper Agreement to your email and SMS that you are required to sign.
- Please ensure that your SSN is correctly filled out (XXX-XX-XXXX with the hyphens included). Once you fill out the SSN, the requirement for the EIN will disappear.
- If you don't add your SSN an EIN is required.
Note: All Helpers and Hands must review and sign the Helper Agreement and fill out their W-9 form before they are able to proceed to the next step.
Finally, you will receive an email to setup a new account and download the Dolly Helper app. We've also included a couple of links below if you want to get a jump start on downloading the app.
iOS: Dolly Helpers on the App Store (apple.com)
Android: Dolly Helpers - Apps on Google Play
Complete Your First Dolly!
Congratulations on making it through the sign-up process and welcome to Dolly! Now that your account is set up, you will be able to bid on, get scheduled, and complete Dollys you see in the app.
For more information on how to navigate our app and how to bid on, get scheduled, and complete your first Dolly, please check out the articles in our Getting Started With Dolly section of our Knowledge Base. If you're looking for something specific, we've included links to the main articles in that section below:
- Dolly 101
- Navigating the Dolly Helper App
- Payments 101
- Relists, Timeliness & Penalties
- Assembly & Reassembly 101
- Apartment Moves
Important Note: If you have been previously approved to be a Helper or Hand but have been off Dolly’s platform for over a year, we require that you take a new background check. We require up-to-date background checks in order to know who we are working with, uphold strict requirements with who can connect with customers and retail partners, and maintain safety for our customers and retail partners.
Article is closed for comments.